It is free for the residents of the Greater New York Area
We just think that conferences for residents should not cost them (or their programs) a dime
How we choose speakers
We choose speakers who Scott Weingart has personally heard speak on the topic for which we are inviting them. Occasionally, we will take the vouching of others we trust into account (this has sometimes led to disaster though)
How we handle questions
We have stolen the Q&A format from SMACC (and the description from St. Emlyn’s)
- 1. Session chair announces in advance that questions will only be taken via twitter.
- 2. A conference hashtag is announced (this allows questions to be easily found). The hashtag for this conference is #emcritconf
- 3. You need a separate ‘twitter monitor to assist the session chair. It’s too much for the chair to do both.
- 4. The twitter monitor selects questions for the chair to ask.
- 5. The chair asks the question on behalf of the questioner, ideally also identifies individual in audience so the speaker an direct the answer to them (that’s polite)
This of course is in an attempt to avoid foiling by Captain Question.
Here is Simon Carley’s alternative solution to avoiding Captain Question: